Image Map

Wednesday, August 22, 2012

It's a...umm...Whatchamacallit!



Do you ever have days where you sit down at the computer and your mind goes blank? I've had those days alot lately. I don't know what it is. Apparently writer's block is a common occurance in my house.
I've got so many great projects and recipes to share with you, and I just can't come up with the catchy words to keep you reading.
You see, I was never the kid in school that could sit down and write a 40 page essay on The American Revolution. Heck, I couldn't write a 40 page essay about my life let alone any one elses! This is a pretty tough gig, at least for me.
It's funny, I typically start my morning by reading the most up to date post from one of my most favorite food bloggers out there. She's so whitty and charming, and quite frankly-AMAZEBALLS! I'm sure by now you know who I'm referring to!
Hayley, The Domestic Rebel, is one of my all time fav bloggy friends and has inspired me in so many of my posts.
I see other inspiring posts all the time too. Posts about kids, and husbands, and dressers, and tissue boxes fashioned out of chicken wire and I think to myself, I just don't feel that creative. I just wish I could come up with something that no one else has done.
I was sitting in my office yesterday, after eating my Weight Watcher's meal and as I sat there munching on my snack, it hit me! I could SO make these at home!!! And yes, I did just eat a Smart One and then finished off my lunch by eating a Whatchamacallit! Don't judge people!! It could have been worse!!
So...I decided to disect the remaining bite of my Whatchamacallit and here's what I came up with.
A cruncy, peanut buttery layer (hmmh, looks like rice krispies to me)
A thin caramel layer (I think I have some caramel left over from another project this week)
All hugged by a layer of chocolate (Yep! Got that!)
And here's what I came up with, my first attempt at a homemade candy bar!
The WhatChaMaCallIt...Campbell Style!
These were so much fun to make. Other than chocolate coated fingers (yeah, who's going to complain about that!) they came together really well.
Although a little difficult to photograph...brown just isn't a great color for me.
And I think they taste just like their store bought counterparts.
I would strongly recommend you make these.
Now I know that it might be easier to just go to Target or Wal-Mart and spend $1.49 on a true Whatchamacallit, but then you wouldn't be able to tell all of your friends, "Hey! I made these!" and let's be honest here, who doesn't like to impress their friends a little.
So here's what you're gonna need.
 
 
WhatChaMaCallIt Candy Bars...Campbell's Style
1 cup corn syrup
1 cup sugar
1 cup peanut butter
6 cups Rice Krispies
Caramels (about 1/2 bag unwrapped)
1 1/2 Tablespoons Heavy Cream
1 bag light cocoa Wilton Candy Melts
butter
 
Line a 13x9 inch cake pan with aluminum foil. Butter it generously, set aside.
In a saucepan combine sugar and corn syrup, bring to a boil.
Once boiling remove from heat, stir in peanut butter.
Place Rice Krispies in a large bowl, pour peanut butter mixture over cereal.
Mix well.
Press into cake pan firmly. Set aside.
In a small microwave safe bowl, combine caramels and heavy cream.
Melt in 30 second incriments until caramels are smooth and pourable.
Pour caramels over cereal in cake pan. Smooth out into a thin layer.
Refridgerate for 1 hour.
Pull aluminum foil from pan with bars still on top of it. Place on a safe cutting surface.
With a large knife or pizza cutter, cut into bars or squares.
In another bowl melt candy melts in microwave according to directions on package.
Dip bars or squares into the chocolate melts, place on wax paper or plastic wrap to cool.
Enjoy!!!
 
 
 

8 comments:

  1. Oh my gosh do these look amazing! I haven't had a whatchamacallite in mega years!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I totally have those days too Kim! It's hard! These whatchamacallits would help. For sure!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kim, you crack me up with your talk of writers block! I love reading all of your posts because I can see your personality come through so much! Plus, you make mouthwatering food. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kim, you're so sweet! Thanks for the shout-out; means a lot! You're awesome and I'm so glad we're good bloggy friends!! :)
    Now, onto these Whatchamacallits. Um, amazeballs indeed. I love them and yours look AWESOME. Homemade candy bars are the best and I'm positive yours taste amazing. Love. It!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look wonderful. Bookmarked them so I could make them. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  6. OMG these look delish! I found you via WLOW and glad I did..your blog is awesome. Following along on GFC..have a great day!

    Marilyn
    4you-withlove.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete